Sunday 25 September 2011

Ex Assistant Commisioner Of Police Wife Kills 2 Children In Lagos



Mrs. Rabiat Oyenuga, the wife of a retired Assistant Commissioner of Police, has been accused of crushing two children - David and Elizabeth Lawani, to death.

It was learnt that Rabiat, also hit the children’s mother, Ibiyemi, with her car along Apapa Road, Ebute-Meta, Lagos on Sunday.

Ibiyemi, who is in a critical condition at the Federal Medical Centre, Ebute Meta, and her children were returning from a church service when the incident occurred.

Ibiyemi’s husband, Oluwaseyi, said that shortly before the accident, his wife called him with a pay phone that she and the children were going to Christ Apostolic Church (Chapel of Testimony parish), Apapa Road.

He said, “I should have gone with them but I was invited to perform with a choir at another church. So, I told Ibiyemi that I would pick them up later at the church they were to attend.
“Unfortunately, it rained heavily on that day. So, I was unable to meet them as planned.” Unknown to Oluwaseyi, that was the last time he would see his children alive.

He said, “Around 2pm, while I was still in the church, I received a call from the same number, which my wife had earlier used, that she and my children were involved in an auto accident on Apapa Road.
“I left the church immediately and on getting to the scene, I saw blood all over the ground and a Toyota Sienna with registration number FR 902 LND parked nearby.

“After inquiring from eyewitnesses, I was told that my family had been taken to Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba.”

Oluwaseyi said his fear was confirmed when he got to LUTH and was told that his children did not survive.
He said, “On getting to LUTH, I was shown the body of my two-year-old son, David. He was completely crushed as his internal organs were exposed and his clothes were soaked with blood.

“A few hours later, I was informed that my three-month-old daughter, Elizabeth, had also died. Fortunately, my wife survived but she is in a critical condition.”
Oluwaseyi said eyewitnesses claimed that Oyenuga drove recklessly and rammed a tricyle before hitting his family.
He said, “Eyewitnesses told me my family was not even crossing the road. Rather, they were walking in the direction of the oncoming vehicle. My wife was carrying Elizabeth on her back but when she was hit, she fell flat and my baby’s head hit the floor hard.
“My wife’s legs were broken in different places while my son, David, was crushed completely.”
Oluwaseyi said although the incident was reported immediately at the Iponri Police Station, he feared the manner in which the case was being handled by the police could jeopardise investigations.
He said, “On getting to the police station, policemen on duty were dilly-dallying before giving us attention. They later informed us that the woman had been released but butn investigations were still ongoing.
“We later found out that the lady who drove the vehicle is the wife of a retired Assistant Commissioner of Police.
“When we realised that it might be difficult to get justice, we put pressure on the policemen to re-arrest the woman, which they did on Monday.
“Ibiyemi is now in the Intensive Care Unit where she is being prepared for surgery on her legs. We were told by a doctor that her best chance of gaining full recovery of her legs would be to take her abroad as she sustained serious injuries from her waist down.”
Crying profusely, Oluwaseyi narrated his last moments with his children, saying it was a devastating blow to him.
He said, “David was supposed to resume kindergarten on Monday. I had already bought school bag and shoes for him. Although he was not fluent in speaking, he was very lovable.
“David turned two on May 21 while his three-month-old sister was born three days later. I thought they would outlive me but God knows best. My wish now is that my wife does not die because if she does, life will become unbearable.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Command, Mr. Samuel Jinadu, who confirmed the incident, said investigations were ongoing.
“I can assure you that investigation will be as transparent as possible,” he added.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment